- There seemed to be more stewards this year. Last year I remember running through the University Campus and if it wasn't for the fact that there was some runners ahead, it wasn't obvious what the actual Marathon route was. Much better this year.
- The Marathon route was too narrow early on, roughly around the 4 mile mark when the runners were expected to run inside half of one lane with cones as a barrier. More often than not, the cones were a trip hazard. If the organisers / city council want this event to grow and attract numbers then they will have to make the route wider.
- The route was better than last year. No jumping up and down off footpaths......no really narrow choke points. There seemed to be plenty of small hills, especially early on although I'm not sure if it is possible to get a flat route in Limerick. I certainly wouldn't say Limerick is a flat fast course but I don't know if it is any slower or harder than say Cork or Dublin.
- From where I was, there was no shortage of water and gels. Some small points...the volunteers handed out some of the bottles with the tops missing.....it probably makes perfect sense from their point of view....hand the runner an open bottle of water ready to drink........the reality though is that you can't run with an open bottle and drink slowly from it over the next few miles. Minor detail but it makes a difference. Gels.....in fairness, you could have OD'ed on then ;o) I never saw so many gels given out at any city Marathon. Full marks on this.
- Medals......personally, I have no interest in them but it's an issue to some. They gave the same medal for the Marathon, the Half-Marathon and 6 mile. Some might feel that there should be a special medal for the Marathon. I'm not sure if it's a big issue though.
- T-Shirts......cotton as opposed to a dry fit top......same one for all 3 events as opposed to a special Marathon top. Considering that this was only the 2nd year of this event, perhaps this will change in future.
- Mile Markers......some of the mile markers were out.....way out! I think the 10 mile mark was out by around several hundred metres. Not really acceptable......put the markers in the right spot.
- My main memories of the Limerick Marathon are.......the old Georgian buildings in the heart of the city.....those huge flag posts by the University of Limerick with the banners waving in the wind.....the out and back section around 6-8 miles where you could watch the front runners of the Marathon......running across the bridge in the University campus.....the church where the bells were ringing out as the runners went past.......and the finsh line with the crowds.
That was my own experience, you own may be different? Did you run the Marathon? Half-Marathon? or 6 mile run? What did you think? How did it compare to last year? Click on the comment link below and give your opinion.
1) There is a small gallery of photos of the Half-Marathon by Sean Ryan HERE
2) Another selection by John Garrett HERE
3) Commercial photos HERE
Results......The Irish Times are a major sponsor of this event. The full results will appear in a special supplement with the paper on Tuesday, the 3rd of May.
In the meantime, you can search HERE for your individual time
Start of the 6 mile run...