1) 17 year old Adam King from Ballinskelligs is a member of Iveragh AC and is one of the up and coming stars in the hammer. There was a good article on him in the Irish Examiner on Tues 19th Aug and you can see it HERE.
2) Adam is also part of a 5 strong Irish team going to the Youth Olympics in Nanjing, China. You can find more info here... http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2014/08/schedule-for-irish-athletes-at-youth.html
3) From Kerry Athletics.....Kerry Athletics are forming a sub-committee to support athletes in the development of their athletic career over the course of a three year program. The committee is made up of senior athletes and coaches.
The sub-committee is organising an information night for all club athletes from the ages of 15yrs up to Senior level. This will be held on Tuesday 26th August @ 8pm in Farranfore Community Hall. We would encourage all athletes to attend.
Overview: Squad Objectives:
- Target athletes in the age group 15 – Senior level who have committed to Athletics as one of their main sports.
- Support such athletes in the development of their athletic career over the course of a three year programme.
- Support their own personal development
- Create a “team” environment rather than “individual” participation in Munster & National championships.
- Develop a core group of athletes that train together and are identified as part of a Kerry Athletics Team
The Program involves:
- Completion of an application form to determine the current suitability of the athlete to the program.
- Initial Team Building exercise
- Physical fitness assessment
- Weekly / Monthly Training Sessions with specialised coaches to include
- Training Programmes on specific events
- Advice with regard to Nutrition, Avoiding and Dealing with Injury, Sports Psychology
- Assistance with writing Personal Development Plan
- Maintenance of a Training Diary
- National Competition
- Commitment to Representing Kerry in Munster & National Competitions
- This will form part of an ongoing development strategy.